Check this page each month for a free pattern!
Lazy Susan Basket
Right click here/Save Target
To download pattern
Lazy Susan Basket
10” Lazy susan Base
#2 round reed
1/2” flat reed
1/4” flat reed
3/8” flat oval reed
1. From 1/2” flat reed, cut 40 pieces 8” long. Soak briefly.
2. Insert these into groove on base, wrong side up, distributing evenly around base.
3. Using #2 round reed that has been soaked either twine 2 rows or do 2 rows of chase weaving around base keeping as tight to the base as possible as this is what will hold spokes in place.
4. Gently bend all spokes upwards.
5. Using ¼” flat reed weave 1 row overlapping 4 spokes at the end of the row. Use lots of clothespins to keep in place and make sure the weaving is packed tight to the round reed.
6. Weave 13 more rows of start/stop weaving. Turn basket slightly before starting next row. Be creative and use rows of dyed reed to add colour to your basket.
7. As you weave sides should make a gentle curve upwards from the round reed.
8. Cut and tuck spokes. Inside spokes cut even with top of basket. Outside spokes cut on an angle and tuck into second row of weaving on inside of basket.
9. Make rim by wrapping inside and outside with 3/8” flat oval reed and lay seagrass on top. Hold together with clothespins or cable ties.
10. Lash with ¼” flat reed.
Basket as pictured has 2 rows of ¼ smoked flat reed and 1 row of braided seagrass as accent. These can be woven anywhere into basket.
Use your creative ideas to dye reed and create your own baskets. Some ideas are shown in pictures.
If desired stain basket with product of choice.
Always sign and date basket.
Pattern for personal use only, cannot be sold.
All patterns property of W.H. Baskets
Copyright ©2005-2012 Geoff Haydt - All rights reserved